Figs - 9 Fundamental Benefits of Figs
Figs both fresh and dried, offer a long series of benefits for our health.
This fruit, originally from the Middle East and the Mediterranean region, has different varieties and colours. Figs are rich of dietetic fibers and minerals (potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper) beyond being an excellent source of vitamins A, B, E and K.
Anyway figs are rich in sugar and have a high glycemic index. This is why it is good to not abuse them and consume with food with a low glycemic index (nuts, almonds or vegs).
Below, find an interesting list of benefits of figs:
- Figs are perfect for people suffering of low iron (anemia)
- People suffering of digestion issues should include figs in their diet. Figs are natural laxative because they are rich in fiber. Before eating, it is a good practice to immerse them in water for a couple of hours.
- Figs are also useful to expel toxins and have a high Alkaline PH. For this reason figs help in balancing the acid conditions, which are the result of a diet rich of red meat and processed food.
- Figs, and especially dried figs, are rich of calcium, one of the most important components to reinforce bones and prevent osteoporosis.
- Figs are even useful to treat verrucae, since they posses antiviral properties.
- Drinking an infusion of figs helps in treating dry cough, asthma, sore throat and excessive mucus. To prepare the infusion you only have to boil a fig in a cup of water.
- Figs help in controlling hypertension thanks to the high level of potassium.
- Fig leaves are edible and are particularly useful to control diabetes because reduce the needed quantity of insulin.
- Figs help in reducing the triglycerid levels, protecting the heart. Being rich of omega-3 and omega-6 fat acids, figs help to keep control cholesterol levels under control.